Pianos are some of the most expensive musical furniture we can keep as investments. They are also the perfect instruments to keep at home by those who love music that’s why providing the utmost care for them is necessary. However, pianos have one downside and that they are particularly voluminous and hard to move. So when you need to move out, here comes the problem.
On the one hand, there are risks if you’ll try to move a heavy piano by yourselves. Either you get hurt, or the piano gets damage or can happen both. This is why hiring professional piano movers is essential. But how much does it cost to move a piano?
Before we look at the piano moving cost, we should check first how to choose the right company for the moving.
Best Qualities Piano Movers Must Possess
- Registered and excellent track record. With these qualities, professionalism is assured.
- To cover your piano in the case of damages and you must check this before signing a contract.
- Trained, strong movers with precise teamwork.
- Smart movers can always find ways to move pianos regardless of its size, weight, and difficulties along the way.
- Equipment and tools. These are to help movers handle the tasks and to ensure accidents won’t happen.
Cost of Moving a Piano
The cost of moving a piano depends on the size and weight of the piano, where it will be coming from and need to be moved, the tools and equipment needed and the distance. Remember that pianos are quite heavy and not easy to carry.
According to a piano moving company, here are the possible costs that could incur with the job.
- If it only requires moving a small upright piano near your location that could only cost $100. But if movers need to take it on stairs, the cost could range from $200 to $250.
- A precious concert grand piano, if it needs to be moved far from its current location, the cost could range from $1,000 to $2,000.
- Aside from the piano movers cost, there could be the additional cost if movers need to use tools and equipment. Each equipment or device also has a corresponding value.
Below are the examples:
- Four-wheel dolly specially designed for moving a piano. Charge range from $125 – $130.
- Locking piano belt is a long belt that would be strapped to the piano and the dolly to prevent the piano from moving and slipping – $25 – $30.
- Hump strap to strap the dolly or piano to the body of the movers or use it to tie and carry the piano – $25 to $30.
- Piano skid board. This is a wide board used when taking the piano upstairs and downstairs – $100 to $125
Now, there could also be some changes or let’s say possible additional charges in moving your piano based on some factors. Let’s check what these could be:
- Hourly rate. Some piano moving company may charge by the hour or a minimum of 3 hours.
- Type of piano you want to move. The more expensive the piano, the higher the piano movers cost can get.
- The size of the piano. The bigger the piano, the more men, needed to move it.
- The distance is calculated in miles and companies always set their minimum distance which means you have to pay additional costs if the distance exceeds the limit.
- The complexities of the job. It could mean the difficulty of moving the piano such as carrying it on a high terrain, inside a tall building without elevators, between small spaces and so on.
- The number of movers needed for the job.
- Time limit and waiting time.
How Much Does It Cost To Move A Piano Over Long Distances or Abroad?
As we have mentioned, long distance piano moving could range from $1,000 to $2,000. But when it comes to overseas moving, the cost can get as high $3,500 excluding the moving cost from your home and to its another location. What this means is that if you’ll be charged with the moving from your home to the airport and the cost of air shipping is another story. Then there would be another cost from the airport to its destination.
For cargo shipping, aside from the fare, you also have to pay for the storage room that is maintained at an optimum temperature, and this can cost you $50 to $60 a month. If the piano needed to be lifted by a crane, like from the ship or through your home window, the charge could be from $750 to $2,000.
Types of Piano and Moving Cost Breakdown
We should also know that there are different kinds of piano and because each type could have different dimensions and weight, the piano moving companies may also charge them to customers differently. Considering that you’ll be moving into a new apartment with your piano, the following can be any of your piano type with their estimated moving cost.
Moving Costs for Every Piano Type with Their Corresponding Weights (Estimates)
- Studio Upright Piano. The most compact but can weigh 300 to 400 pounds. It can be moved using stairs and elevators and requires two movers minimum. Cost can range from $195 to $300.
- Standard Upright Piano. A bit larger than the studio type, this can reach up to four feet tall and can weigh 600 up to 800 pounds. It would take around 4 to 5 people to move this. Cost could be from $200 to $320 not including the carpentry work if it has to go through a narrow door.
- Player Upright Piano. The classic style but can weigh up to 1000 pounds (1 ton). Several people are needed to move this. Thus this could cost you around $200 to $350.
- Baby Grand Piano. This type usually has an unusual size and shape and wider features. Moving cost can range from $250 to $400.
- Studio Grand Piano. These are the professional types and larger and heavier than the baby grand. Very hard to move, it can weigh more than a ton and requires many movers to move it. Cost can be from $225 up to $415.
- Parlor Grand Piano. With a length of five to seven feet long, this can weigh around 900 to 1,000 pounds. With its sheer weight, length and volume, a lot of movers will be required, and the expense could go from $415 to $650.
Professional piano movers can quickly estimate the cost of moving piano by just its type followed by the distance, difficulty of the job, men required, tools needed and other factors. On the other hand, the costing here are just the estimates but still very near the standard rates. But if you want a more accurate costing, you can call a piano moving company near you and state the dimension of your piano.